To recognise students’ unions that have demonstrated and strengthened their commitment to democratic principles.
1. Explain the context and background of your submission.
- How did you identify the need for action?
- What objectives were set?
2. Describe what actions you took, and the challenges that arose.
- What did you do to ensure that members from under-represented groups became engaged in union elections and decision-making?
- Can you demonstrate training and support for those participating in union democratic processes?
- How did you ensure accessible, timely and relevant information was available to members before making decisions?
- How did you enable members to consider the views of other members before making a decision?
3. What changes have been achieved?
- What processes were changed or introduced as a result?
- What outputs and impacts were achieved by the work the union undertook?
- How has this work impacted participation in union democracy?
- Can you evidence that decisions made by members are acted on and realised in a timely way?
- Does the makeup of the union’s central decision-making body and those who participate in it reflect the diversity of the union’s membership?